07 October 2008

Busy bee

Somehow I managed to finish the book proposal today. I drafted the bulk of it on Sunday and then wrote a draft introduction today of around 1,000 words. I'm quite pleased with what I've submitted and I'm confident it will pass muster with the publisher. They've already acknowledged receipt and said I will hear next week if I get the contract. Fingers crossed.

In between I've crammed in no less than 3 medical appointments - 2 check-ups and my flu jab. I also wasted 30 minutes waiting around in the pharmacy to pick up my prescriptions, only to be told there is a supply problem for my epilepsy medication. Great. Now I have to go to another chemist tomorrow to collect half my tablets. The rest I can't get at all. I feel a rant coming on - time to pick up the phone and berate Big Pharma for putting me at risk of seizures if I can't get my meds...

I got a commission from a national newspaper yesterday so this afternoon and this evening has been spent researching and interviewing. My deadline is lunchtime tomorrow, giving me not a huge amount of time to pull it all together and write it up. Except I have to use that time to chase my meds at the other chemist as they will only hold the tablets until lunchtime. I sense a major conflict of interests approaching and probably a headache too.

The afternoon will be filled seeing my GP, again. And queuing at the hospital for routine yearly blood tests. I lead such an exciting life...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Cripes, I find three-month deadlines unbelievably stressful. You journos have to turn things around 'by lunchtime tomorrow'. My tiny mind boggles.

Anne Brooke said...

Lordy, hope the doctor stuff goes as smoothly as possible today - and well done about the proposal.

Hugs to you

Axxx

Unknown said...

@bureauista A day and a half to write 600 words is not too bad. It only becomes a problem when you can't get hold of people you want to interview. I actually prefer having a tight deadline as it galvanises me into action. When I know my deadline is a month away, I do nothing until the day before...

@Anne thanks hon, everything's ticking over as it should. Hope things are going smoother for you in the health stakes just now.