28 April 2009

Burn-out

I managed 5 hours' sleep last night but don't feel rested and my eyeballs feel like they have been sandpapered. I have a splitting headache and don't want to work today, although I'll have to.

Yesterday, I spilled about some of these problems on one of the hack forums I hang out on. One friend told me to book a holiday. She's right - this is the 2nd time this year she's told me I need a break. I've not had a holiday since I spent a week in Larnaca a year ago (and it wasn't a happy trip - I split from Mr Wordsmith on our return). I've not even been away for a weekend and my only "mini-breaks" since then have been the occasional trips to the Smoke to large it with my hack colleagues on the legendary JournoBiz Massive drinking sessions. (There's 1 on tonight that I'd planned to go to, but am forced to miss because of my workload. I'm gutted as it's always great fun, and the networking is always useful too.)

I can't put a break off any longer, or I think I may crack. The insomnia is now so persistent that I've lost my appetite (and 2 kilos this week) - most days I'm forgetting to eat breakfast and in the evenings I'm so shattered I can't face cooking. And I love cooking. I feel guilty that personal emails are piling up unanswered in my inbox and on Facebook, because I never seem to have time to reply. It's amazing I still have friends, I've neglected them so badly.

One reason I've not taken a proper holiday for 12 months (and I even worked on Xmas Day!) is things were a bit chaotic on the personal front after splitting with Mr W. Then there were 2 house moves, the book to write, features to pitch and write, stuff to edit. I was very aware that I needed to up my income now I was single.

I have a serious longing to return to Crete and hike the White Mountains again. I need sunshine and good food and, more than anything else, to switch off and let my mind recharge. It'll need some planning - mah boy will need kennelling, for starters. But with luck, I'm going to be on a plane before the end of May...

3 comments:

BenefitScroungingScum said...

Just thinking of you and hope things calm down soon. Can someone Nelson sit? I get ppl to come in and feed/pay attention to Queen Bendycat if I go away.
BG x

Unknown said...

In my previous town, I had plenty of cat sitters, like our cleaner, who lived round the corner ad had a key anyway. Bit trickier here as everyone I know is scattered over a bigger area, but I'll ask around. If he has to be kennelled he'll have to be vaccinated first - mega hassle. Plus the teensy problem of getting him to a cattery when I can't drive... :)

Jenny said...

Yep. You should definitely get away. Though easier said than done, I know. I've been feeling a bit like that myself recently. Knackered through stupid hours. It all seems to catch up at once. . . .

I can recommend a good cat sitter. Try Helen Playfoot from Cats at Home. She's great with my two. http://www.catsathome.info.