21 February 2008

Dressing for success?

I have a confession to make.

I've spent the entire day in my dressing gown.

There, I've said it.

One of the joys of freelancing is the various freedoms denied those on PAYE. One, obviously, is no longer having to commute. Compared with my last job, I have 2 more hours in the day that are mine to fill as I please instead of jockeying for a seat on a filthy, crowded train in the rush hour. I am also free to do as I please, with no boss breathing down my neck dictating what to do and how to do it.

My favourite freedom is not having to "look the part". Most days I wear jeans and trainers while at my desk. Obviously, if I'm out seeing people, I make more effort - heels, full make-up, jewellery - and if I have business meetings, I'll dig out something formal, like a suit. And then there are days like today, when I just can't be bothered. So, after my morning shower, instead of hunting for clean socks and a fresh top, I just put my dressing gown back on and went to work. Downstairs. I spent quite a bit of time on the phone today and no one had any idea I wasn't sitting in a white shirt and some chic black trousers. (Last year, I had a massive wardrobe clear-out and gave all but 2 of my suits to the charity shop. I hadn't worn them in 4 years.)

I know for a fact I'm not the only freelance who doesn't always get dressed. A lot of my colleagues work in their pyjamas. And some work in bed, on a laptop. That's a step too far for me. I do actually like to be up.

It's also important not to get too lazy - it's a fine line between being sartorially rebellious and not letting yourself go. On the days I opt for the dressing gown, I make sure I brush my hair, powder my nose and dab on some mascara, just as I do when I'm wearing jeans and trainers. Should circumstances dictate and I find I unexpectedly need to go out, I can be dressed in 2 minutes and still look presentable to the outside world.

Tomorrow I'm training so it'll be gym kit first, followed by - ooh, let's see - jeans and trainers, I expect...

3 comments:

Anne Brooke said...

I envy you - it always makes me feel guilty when I do that - and I end up having to get properly dressed before I can start work properly on the book!

A
xxx

dougalfish said...

Soneone else has admitted it too: http://www.fyreflyjar.net/2008/02/i-was-sitting-at-computer-earlier-with.html
Personnally if I don't have to do anything other than the nursery run I'm in trackie bottoms and a sweatshirt for the day. Very envious of you having a cleaner AND a personal trainer :-)

Unknown said...

I am very fortunate to have a cleaner, I admit. I'd get very little done if I had to clean Wordsmith Towers myself. The trainer is my treat to myself. Because I deserve it! And because I'll remain a lard-arse if I don't have one.