05 July 2006

Books etc...

My accountant dropped by this morning to collect my books for the last tax year. I spent a couple of hours yesterday compiling all the paperwork into one ringbinder (I closed the books several weeks ago). Sorting and separating the paperwork was a dull job, made duller by the relentless heat and humidity yesterday.

I also spent a couple of hours updating my directory entry for SfEP, of which I am a member. The directory is published annually in the autumn. Until this year, it appeared in hard copy as well as on the website. From this year on, it will only be published online. Rising printing costs and the fact that more people tend to scour the directory only on the net means that a print version is no longer viable. Either way, it makes little difference to me - I'm still listed and it's a source of work for me. An important one, too.

Domestic chaos looms at Wordsmith Towers - the washing machine has died and our cleaner has quit. On the latter front, we were rescued from a life of grime by an eleventh-hour replacement who starts next week. I'm unlikely to get any work done this afternoon as I'm awaiting a repairman who will attempt to fix the washing machine. If he turns up, I will be gobsmacked. And doubly so if he actually manages to execute a miracle. Life's too short for trips to the launderette...

No comments: