24 September 2006

Books etc...

I've spent a very pleasant morning catching up with a whole week's worth of episodes of The Archers. (Yesterday, I was browsing in Oxfam and bought a mint copy of Lynda Snell's Heritage of Ambridge and, while paying, had an entertaining conversation with the till person, who turned out to be an addict herself.)

I used the time spent listening to events in Ambridge to email an overdue invoice to a client, write a book review of Professional Feature Writing for Editing Matters, mail a couple of friends and my accountant and accept an invitation to LinkedIn. I was delighted to discover that quite a few people I know are already using LinkedIn, so I'm building a nice little network on there that will, I hope, lead to work. Never one to miss an opportunity, me...

Actually, I've found networking to be the single most useful tool so far for finding work, proving that that old adage about it being who you know is very true. It shouldn't have to be like that, and of course it often isn't, but networking has been very beneficial for me since I turned freelance.

The sun is finally shining again after a hefty storm this morning and I'm looking forward to spending some quality time with my beloved P - there's not been enough of that lately.

No comments: