23 September 2006

Weekend but no let-up

It's been a crazy week.

I've been hard at it on the hedge funds book. Only 15 chapters to go, thank whoever. The client who wanted a press release on Thursday postponed, for which I was heartily grateful. And I did a chunk of the travel copywriting for the Lithuanian client. On top of that, my magazine ed rang to discuss commissions - he's decided to hand one of his own commissionees over to me so I can coordinate several articles on a theme. Great... more work when I'm still trying to find the time to deal with the people I've commissioned myself.So that's two writers I need to chase, a set of interview questions I need to draft and email to my victims, I mean interviewees, another writer I need to let down gently and yet another I still need to get hold of and ask ever so nicely to produce 4,000 words. Never mind, it'll all get squeezed in. I've also promised a book review by the end of this weekend and I've barely opened the tome - I'll just have to wing it. My fault entirely - the book's been sitting on top of my bookshelf for three months...

The cleaning problem has been solved - our relief char is a professional and very good too. When I paid up yesterday, he offered us a reduced hourly rate if we employed him regularly. I had a chat with the beloved P about this when he came home and we agreed it was a great idea to hire him on a regular basis. No more faffing around trying out people who turn out to be more trouble than they are worth. Wordsmith HQ will be spotless once again. And on a regular basis. It's a massive relief as the stress of trying to keep the household running at the most basic level while dealing with one of my busiest-ever work periods was starting to show.

My beloved P was a star yesterday. Not only did he bring home baklava for Rosh Hashanah (because we didn't have any apples and honey), but he also brought home the possibility of a huge work contract for me and my lovely graphic designer. I've been trying to persuade P for months to get his own company to employ me but they already have their own people to do what I do. So that was never going to materialise. But the spin-off company does need help, and soon. New website, new promo materials, press releases, the lot. And they have a massive budget. P has put our names forward and talked us up to the company. So I rang my LGD to tell him what might be in the pipeline. He was very excited about the possibility of us sharing a major new client. Fingers crossed the company picks up the phone next week. If they do, I'll be opening the Bolly...

The postie brought mail from the hospital, bearing a date for my follow-up appointment. I have to change it - I'll be on the plane to Heraklion for a much-needed holiday when I'm supposed to be having the test.

I fancy some retail therapy today - it's been weeks since I had the time to stroll round the shops. But first, I must book the haircut I should have had 3 months ago...

No comments: